Council Tax Support overview

Finding it difficult to pay your council tax bill?

Someone on a low income can get their council tax bill reduced through the Council Tax Support scheme if they meet all the claiming conditions.

Council Tax Support replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. One of the main differences between this system and the old one is that it’s now up to individual councils to decide who gets a reduction in their council tax bill. Each council sets its own rules, and has the power to change these rules from each April.

Council Tax Support helps people on low incomes and/or certain welfare benefits to pay their council tax bill. If you think you may be entitled you’ll need to apply to your local council for a reduction.

Note that if you claim Universal Credit you MUST claim Council Tax Support separately, from your local Council. This is unlike claiming Housing Benefit where it’s all on one form.

Go to the ‘Council Tax’ page to find out more.