When you ask for a repair, we give the work a deadline it must be done by – depending on how urgently it’s needed. We class jobs that are most urgent as ’emergency repairs’.
If you order a repair online you can check what appointments are available before you order.
This will often be for the next day. If this isn’t suitable you can cancel the online order and report the problem by phone instead (see below). Although this should give you a quicker response, an emergency call-out may only give you a temporary solution to make the problem safe. We may need to come again to do the permanent repair.
Reporting an emergency by phone
Phone 0800 633 5500 / 0300 111 0000 seven days a week, 24 hours a day – but only phone outside normal office hours (Monday to Friday 8am-5.30pm) if the problem is an emergency that threatens your health, safety or security.
Give us as much detail as possible – describe the problem and say what room it’s in. In some cases it would help if you told us the make and model of whatever is causing the problem – the boiler for instance.
We will ask you a few questions to check whether the work really needs doing as an emergency, or if it can wait a little longer. If we agree that it is an emergency we will send someone to your home.
We will come to an emergency call-out within 24 hours.
We will often be able to do the full repair there and then, but sometimes – if we don’t have the right parts for example – we will make the problem safe or fix you up with a temporary solution.
For example, if you report a broken window in the night we may have to board it up first and then come again in the light to do the permanent reglazing. If we do need to come again we will contact you the next day to make an appointment.
List of emergency repairs
- No heating or hot water between October 1st and March 31st only – except in circumstances below.
- No heating or hot water any time of the year if you have a vulnerable person in your home – a young baby, or someone who is elderly or disabled.
- Heating system giving off fumes – call Cadent on 0800 111 999.
- No cold water (but check with neighbours to see if it affects other homes).
Burst, major leak, water penetration
- A burst or leak should at least fill a household bucket overnight. Turn off the water.
- Any burst, leak or water penetration that is affecting electrics. Turn off electricity.
- Blocked toilet – but only if there isn’t another toilet in your home.
- Toilet that won’t flush – but only if it is the only toilet and you are unable to flush it with a bucket of water as a temporary solution.
Bath, shower, washbasin
- Bath blocked or no water from taps – but only if someone in the home has a medical condition that makes the bath essential.
- Shower broken – but only if someone in the home has a medical condition that makes the shower essential. We may be unable to fix a shower at an emergency call-out if it needs special parts.
- Washbasin blocked or no water from taps – but only if someone in the home has a medical condition that makes the basin essential.
- Kitchen sink blocked or no water in the taps – but only if someone in the home has a medical condition that makes the sink essential.
- Complete power failure – but if nearby homes are affected contact the electricity company instead.
- Power off in part of the home – but only if it is a danger to health or safety because it’s needed for essential equipment like a stair lift or nebuliser.
- Electrical fitting smoking or scorching – (also turn off the electricity).
- Fire alarm in block of flats broken.
Drains and waste
- Blocked drain – but only if sewage is coming up.
- Blocked refuse chute in a multi-storey block.
- Lock broken – but only if it makes your home insecure. (You may have to pay for this repair.)
- Door broken – but only if it makes your home insecure. (You may have to pay for this repair.)
- Window broken – but only if it makes your home insecure. (You may have to pay for this repair.)
- Force entry, and repair the damage. (You may have to pay for this repair.)
- Faulty lift.
- Call Cadent 0n 0800 111 999.
- We will check electricity wiring and gas pipe work if there has been a fire in your home. Don’t use electricity or gas until this is done.