Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit paid to help people with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability.

An award of Personal Independence Payment can dramatically increase your income – so if you or your partner or a child aged 16 or over have an illness or disability – whether physical, mental health or learning difficulty, contact an experienced adviser to see if you or they ought to claim.

Most people who are currently getting Disability Living Allowance – except under 16s and those who were aged 65 on 8th April 2013 - are gradually being reassessed for Personal Independence Payment instead – see the Frequently Asked Questions. If you are currently getting Disability Living Allowance and are not sure if you are going to be affected by this change you can use this ‘checker’.


Who can get Personal Independence Payment?

You can claim Personal Independence Payment if you have a long-term health condition or disability, are aged 16 or over, and under State Pension age.

It doesn’t matter whether you are in or out of work and doesn’t take account of your income or savings.

Personal Independence Payment considers how your disability / health condition affects your ability to complete certain everyday activities. You will be asked to fill in a questionnaire and have to attend a medical assessment.  If you score enough “points” from these you will be awarded Personal Independence Payment. See the Frequently Asked Questions for more information on these “points”.

Note:  you might have a health problem but not consider yourself to be disabled. If your illness means that you need help, or take longer to do the task, or cannot do it reliably, repeatedly or safely, or you use aids and/or appliances to live a more independent live, then you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment.

Note: to be able to claim you will need to have had the problems that mean you qualify for Personal Independence Payment for a period of three months before making a claim, and be expected to continue to have these problems for a further nine months after making the claim. But these rules do not apply if you are terminally ill, or if you move onto Personal Independence Payment from Disability Living Allowance.

Parents of children under 16 can claim Disability Living Allowance for them instead.
If you are State Pension age or over you can claim Attendance Allowance instead.


How do I claim?

Claims are made over the telephone: 0800 917 2222. Lines are open 8am - 6pm Monday – Friday.

If you would prefer to complete a paper form just explain this when you call – but don’t delay completing and returning the form as an award will only be made from the date the DWP receive the form.

Once you’ve made this initial claim you will then be sent a questionnaire to complete about how your illness / disability affects you.

Most people who claim Personal Independence Payment will have to attend a face-to face consultation (medical) with a healthcare professional, although there are exceptions: eg for some people who are terminally ill.

The questionnaire and the medical are to work out how many points you score – so make sure you explain your problems and the support you need, as fully as possible.


How much Personal Independence Payment can someone get?

There are two components of Personal Independence Payment. One for daily living and one for mobility needs.

Each component has a standard rate and an enhanced rate.

People with care / support needs get a Daily Living Component.

People with problems walking / moving around / getting from place to place - for physical or other reasons - get a Mobility Component.

Some people will be entitled to both.

How much you can get depends on which component/s you are awarded and at what level.

2018/19 rates Daily Living Component Mobility Component
Standard rate £58.70 £23.20
Enhanced rate £87.65 £61.20