ASB Helpbook

Cars, fly-tipping or graffiti

Abandoned cars

If you believe that a car, van or any other vehicle has been abandoned, report it to Manchester City Council here. If there is an emergency, e.g. spilt petrol or live electrical wires call the Police on 101.


Fly Tipping

To report dumped rubbish that is not on WCHG’s land please contact Manchester City Council by clicking on this link.



Graffiti is an offence of criminal damage and can be reported to the Police; however they will not remove it.

Is the graffiti is personally targeted towards you or your family?

If the graffiti is abusive or racist, we will arrange to remove within one working day, otherwise this may take up to four weeks.

If the graffiti is not on our land, please contact the Manchester City Council who will arrange to get it removed.


Obstructive Parking

If your neighbour is parking in a manner which obstructs your ability to enter/leave your home and/or allocated parking space, start by speaking to them first, they may not be aware their actions are causing you a problem. Download our Dear Neighbour Cards.

If the problem continues then you can take the following action:

  • If it  is on a public verge or highway and the vehicle is found to be parked contravening local parking regulations contact your Local Authority who may be able to assist by issuing a Penalty Charge Notice.
  • If it  is parked in such a manner where it needs to be removed immediately, please contact the Police who will arrange this if deemed necessary.
  • If it is on land owned by WCHG , complete our general enquiry form and we will make contact with your neighbour.  It may be that your neighbour/their visitors are not aware of the local parking arrangements.


Repairing Vehicles

This refers to the offence of repairing vehicles in the street is aimed at those carrying out repairs as part of running a vehicle repair business and not individuals repairing their own cars/bikes).

If you are being disturbed by a neighbour carrying out repairs, start by speaking to them, they may not be aware they are disturbing you. Download our Dear Neighbour Cards.  If the problem continues and you believe an offence is occurring then you can either:

  1. If it is on a public highway, contact the Local Authority who can investigate and consider action under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005.
  2. If it is on land owned by WCHG and they are causing a persistent noise nuisance, please refer to our noise nuisance section for guidance.


Speeding or Dangerous Vehicles

if you believe that a Road Traffic Offence has been committed, such as speeding or dangerous driver, you should report the incident and circumstances as soon as possible to your local Police.

Some local authorities can install traffic calming measures to improve road safety.  These may include road humps, chicanes, traffic islands etc.  The Local Authority will decide whether a road needs traffic calming and, if so, which measures are most suitable. The specific traffic problem will dictate the location, type and size of traffic calming measures. These are usually chosen after discussion with road safety officers, local residents and the emergency services, they may conduct an independent study to assess the problem.

Return to ASB Helpbook