We provide a Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Service to help secure a safer environment for our residents, to reduce crime and the fear of crime in the area, to reduce incidents of Anti-Social Behaviour, criminal damage, vandalism and graffiti and to support the elderly and vulnerable residents living in the area.
The CCTV Service operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year. You can contact the CCTV suite directly by:
Telephone: 0161 946 9501
We have 293 CCTV cameras throughout Wythenshawe, both functional dome and static cameras. All these cameras are clearly identified by warning signs and are located in the following areas:
- Wythenshawe Community Housing Group offices.
- 8 shopping parades.
- Community buildings.
- Open/Public spaces e.g. parks.
- High rise properties and sheltered accommodation.
- Sharston Industrial Estate.
- Manchester College.
- Southway Housing Trust.
We have additional remote cameras that can be installed inside a property.
A further 9 remote cameras have been purchased and will be installed at hot spot areas for crime and anti social behaviour across Wythenshawe. The current cameras locations are
- Royal Oak Road/Spark Road.
- Shrivenham Walk.
- Rawpool Gardens.
- Bramcote Avenue/Hall Lane.
- Geroge Mann / Eric Bullows Close.
- Bideford Drive.
- Moorcroft Road.
- Wendover Road.
- Rippleton Road.
- To proactively monitor all cameras to detect crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Answering telephone calls for the Assure 24 Service.
- Running the Concierge Service at multi-storey flats, sheltered blocks and other homes with door entry systems.
- We operate an out of hours emergency repair service at weekends and after 6:00pm on weekdays until 8:00am the following morning.
All CCTV Staff are fully trained SIA Licensed operators and they are fully vetted.
Reporting criminal behaviour
The CCTV staff will zoom in on camera, capture the incident and contact the emergency services if necessary. They will log all incidents that are reported to them or detected by CCTV.
Our CCTV service works with a number of different partners and agencies. Depending on the nature of the information that CCTV gather, they will forward it to:
- Greater Manchester Police.
- Fire Service.
- Ambulance Service.
- WCHG Assure 24 Team.
- WCHG Nuisance Team.
- Alternative WCHG services e.g. Repairs.
- Environmental Services.
- Manchester City Council.
- Department of Work and Pensions.
- Local businesses.
The CCTV control room is regularly used by local Police officers to monitor areas of criminal activity and gather intelligence. The CCTV service and Assure 24 team have also provided valuable support to the police, leading to a number of arrests in relation to various crimes. These include:
- Firearms incidents.
- Attempted murders.
- Serious assaults.
- Drug related crimes.
- Vehicle crimes.
- Public disorder offences.
- Armed robbery.
24 hour service
All our CCTV cameras record 24 hours a day so, if we do miss something we can look at footage from the past 30 days, to see if an incident was caught on film. Footage is destroyed after 30 days.
Access to footage
There are very strict rules about who, how and why CCTV footage can be viewed. GMP can request footage when an incident has been reported to them and believe it will help with their enquiries. Contact us for more information.
Community Safety Team
Our CCTV service is part of our Community Safety Team including the Neighbourhood Wardens and the Nuisance Team.
CCTV staff pass on information to the Assure 24 patrols about;
- Residents requesting a Assure 24 visit.
- Residents providing information of crime and/or anti-social behaviour.
- Police information regarding crime or anti-social behaviour hotspots.
- Incidents captured on CCTV that the Assure 24 Team may be able to attend.
All the information is passed to our Nuisance Team who build nuisance cases against perpetrators of crime and anti-social behaviour in our area. The Nuisance Team can use the information as evidence to take the necessary action against Wythenshawe Community Housing Group residents and non-residents.
CCTV service standards
- All staff are licensed by the Security Industry Authority.
- Requests for footage by GMP will be provided within 24 hours.
- All technical faults will be investigated within 1 working day.
- 90% of faults will be repaired within 5 working days.
- All incoming calls to be answered within 20 seconds.
CCTV privacy impact assessments
CCTV throughout Wythenshawe undergoes an annual privacy impact assessment. The assessment makes sure that CCTV systems are being operated in accordance with the current legislation surrounding data protection, and that they remain fit for the original purpose for which they were installed.
The latest assessment, conducted on 20 November 2018 found that the public space surveillance system operated by us is fit for purpose and complies with current legislation. The assessments make sure that the original reasons for introducing the cameras on our streets are still valid.
During 2018, CCTV was used in 3,695 reported incidents, providing 161 evidence discs and involved in 91 arrests across Wythenshawe. CCTV also assisted the Police on 15 directed surveillance operations and supported the police on 1,189 occasions where police attended incidents.
Full details of the assessments can be viewed on request.
Contacting CCTV staff
Tenants often feel frightened to report ASB/other crime to the CCTV Suite but rest assured all calls are treated confidentially and you do not have to give your name if you don’t want to
The CCTV Control Room can be contacted on 0161 946 9501 / Email: CCTV@wchg.org.uk
You can report any of the following issues:
- Noise Nuisance.
- Anti-Social Behaviour.
- Vehicle Nuisance.
- Environmental Issues (Littering / Fly Tipping).
- Any other Crime.
- Off Road Bikes.
- Verbal/Threatening Behaviour.
If it is an emergency please contact the Police on 999 or 101 for other minor incidents (GMP website).
We welcome your feedback on our CCTV service so please feel free to email it back to email@example.com