Benefits and Welfare Rights

Our Financial Inclusion Team can advise you on any problems you might have with the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit.
  • Housing Benefit.
  • Council Tax Support.
  • Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance.
  • Attendance Allowance.
  • Job Seekers Allowance.
  • Employment Support Allowance.
  • Income Support.
  • Pension Credit.
  • Discretionary Housing Payments.

We can also help with:

  • “Better off” calculations, if you are starting work.
  • Housing Benefit overpayments.
  • Challenging a benefit decision that you think is wrong, for example, that you are fit for work or you have been sanctioned.
  • Checking you are getting the benefits you are entitled to – you could be missing out on benefits you are entitled to.

The government is making (and has already made) big changes to working-age benefits since 2013.  Changes such as the “Bedroom Tax”, the benefit cap and the introduction of Universal Credit.  If you have questions about these, or other, benefit changes check out the Welfare Reform section of our website –

Or contact the Financial Inclusion Team on: 0300 111 0000 / 0800 633 5500 or by email on

Other useful local contacts for help with your benefits.

  • Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau Advice line – 03444 111 222 (available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9.30am to 5.00pm and Wednesday 10.00am to 5.30pm).