Businessman showing empty wallet. Finance and economy.

The money you owe us for your rent is called rent arrears. If you don’t pay your rent we will take steps to recover the money you owe us.

If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent talk to your Rent Officer straight away.

Your Rent officer can help in a number of ways including:

  • Arranging a payment plan for you to pay off your arrears based on what you can afford.
  • Offering advice and help on claiming any benefits you may be entitled to.
  • Helping to complete a Housing Benefit claim form.
  • Arranging for specialist benefit or debt advice.
  • Giving you details of other agencies that can help you.

You can contact your Rent Officer on 0800 633 5500 / 0300 111 0000. Additionally take a look at our Money Management section which has lots of good advice including debt advice websites.

Reasons to avoid rent arrears

  • You could get a bad credit rating, which could affect your chances of getting a credit card, personal loan or mortgage.
  • If we have to take legal action, you will have to pay the legal costs.
  • It can reduce your chances of getting another home.
  • You won’t be able to buy your home under the ‘Right to Buy’ scheme.
  • You could lose your home.

Paying your rent arrears

Contact the rents team to talk about paying off your arrears

Failure to pay

If you continue to miss your rent payments and do not discuss your circumstances with your Rent Officer, WCHG will take legal action against you. The consequences of this are extremely serious for example:

  • A County Court judgement ordering you to repay the debt. This will make it difficult for you to obtain credit in the future and you will incur Court costs of around £325.00.
  • If you continue to miss payments following a Court judgement WCHG could evict you from your home.
  • Your home is at risk if you do not keep up rents payments.