Help with Energy Bills

If you are struggling to pay your bills and have arrears that you can’t afford to pay back or need to buy something for your home that you can’t afford to pay for you may get help from either the British Gas Energy Trust Fund or the United Utilities Trust Fund.

They provide grants to people that need them. You don’t always need to be a customer of United Utilities or British Gas to apply for help – it depends upon your application. If you are unsure ring them first and discuss your application.

British Gas Energy Trust

The British Gas Energy Trust provides financial help to those in debt and hardship. The Trust can offer financial help in the form of grants that don’t have to be paid back. The grants can help with;

  • Gas and electricity arrears.
  • Other household bills.
  • Other priority debts and essential household items that you need to buy but can’t afford (this payment is called a Further Assistance Payment).

Further assisted payments can help you with:

  • Council tax debts.
  • Telephone bill debts.
  • Rent debts.
  • Bankruptcy deposits.
  • Purchase of white goods e.g. fridge, cooker etc.

How to apply

You need to complete an application form and return it to the British Gas Energy Trust along with any other required documents.

To get an application form you can ring the Energy Trust on 01733 421 060.

Help completing the form

For help completing the form and to have your documents checked, ring Manchester CAB on 0161 834 9057.